The importance of Social Media Monitoring and Engagement
Date posted: June 7, 2011
You may think that Facebook is only useful to look at pictures of your high school buddies, but social media sites like Twitter, LinkedIn and the aforementioned Zuckerberg creation can help create real time word of mouth marketing for your programs, campus and services. They can, in fact, help:
- Create awareness of your website’s content
- Increase your website’s traffic
- Establish your institution’s reputation (You can come to be seen as an authority on a certain topic, program, or educational issue, increasing lead generation)
- Develop a network of related individuals and institutions (A network of higher education allies can help future link building campaigns)
- Build links (This can improve your school website’s positioning on search engine results pages)
Of course, leveraging these social media and online networking outlets generates a large realm of information and opportunities that need to be maintained, tracked, measured and analyzed. Higher Education Marketing’s Social Media Monitoring and Engagement services can measure and identify the volume and origin of conversations (on Facebook, Twitter, LinkeIn and blogs) and potential influencers. Uniquely configured for every school, Social Media Monitoring and Engagement would also help qualify the tone or sentiment of the conversation (positive or negative). This information can then be used to make improvements to your social media message, profiles and interaction on a continuous basis.
This analytical-foundation is important, since, as social media grows, schools have less and less control over what people say or share about your institution. Inevitably, you will have to contend with some negative press ranking for your school’s name in search results. With proper social media monitoring and engagement, however, you can get negative mentions removed, or ‘bumped down’, in search results. More importantly, by developing an effective Social Media strategy, you can stimulate blog, forum, and social media discussion and interaction regarding your school, ensuring that future negative mentions are reduced.
Higher Education Marketing’s Social Media Monitoring and Engagement services can help:
- Measure your institution’s social media presence and visibility
- Prioritize social media platforms and content
- Decide what to measure
- Involve others
- Manage your school’s reputation and brand
- Identify social media strengths and weaknesses
- Recommend improvements
- Guide audience interaction
As these outlets continue to gain in importance and prominence, monitoring and managing your social media presence and engagement is an essential component of your online visibility and Web marketing.
Contact Higher Education Marketing today for more information on Social Media Monitoring and Engagement.