With HEM's help we now have a much better understanding of student registration behavior across our online registration process. We can quantitatively review our registration process performance and easily identify areas that need improvement.
Director of Marketing
IMPROVE TRACKING OF STUDENT ONLINE REGISTRATION BEHAVIOR AT MOHAWK COLLEGE
Continuing growth of online registration for Mohawk College’s Cont Ed department highlighted to its managers the need to better understand online student registration behaviour, (including form abandonment behavior), to improve the overall effectiveness of its web-based registration process.
Mohawk’s growing cont ed business, (and increasingly important profit center), relied on a complex online registration process that provided high level traffic data only and little insight into how to improve its effectiveness.
ONLINE REGISTRATION INVOLVED A COMPLEX NINE STEP PROCESS.
Mohawk’s registration process was made up of nine discrete steps, presented across five web pages and implemented across Mohawk subdomains, one of which was a secure server for financial transaction processing. Data integrity and financial security were key concerns in the implementation of the tracking, given involvement of the secure server.
ANALYTICS WAS CONFIGURED TO TRACK VISITORS ENTERING AND EXITING THE REGISTRATION PROCESS ONLY
A large number of registrations were received through the funnel, producing significant revenue for the department, but no step-by-step details were available to track visitor conversion or visitor form abandonment behavior across the process.
INCREASE REGISTRATION COMPLETION AND DECREASE FORM ABANDONMENT
By having a better understanding of student registration behavior and form abandonment, areas to improve could can be identified and total registration in cont ed programs could be increased.
Higher Education Marketing implemented the solution through the following steps:
- HEM reviewed the existing registration funnel with the Mohawk marketing, continuing education and IT departments to understand the form and function of all steps in the process and to identify opportunities and constraints for tracking across it.
- With the assistance of marketing, web services and IT departments, HEM designed and installed tracking code across each step of the funnel.
- Google Analytics goal tracking and visitor flow analysis were used to provide reports that visualized the rather complex process, providing managers with a tool to track and understand visitor conversion behavior and form abandonment behavior, across each step.
Mohawk’s nine step registration process converted to a Google Analytics Goal funnel. Each step in the funnel details incoming visitors and outgoing “converted” visitors.
HEM’S WORK RESULTED IN A NUMBER OF SPECIFIC OUTCOMES:
- Benchmarking of the online registration systems pages, steps and constraints
- Provided a clear analysis of student registration and form abandonment behavior
- Provided deeper segmentation of visitor traffic across the registration funnel, resulting in a more complete understanding of the behavior of visitor segments. This information enables the marketing department to make more informed decisions on regional advertising spends.
- Identified steps within the registration funnel that were problematic in terms of form abandonment and requiring optimization for improvement in conversion rate
- Raised awareness across departments to the power and potential of marketing analytics to improve marketing ROI
About MOHAWK COLLEGE
Mohawk College serves 15,000 full-time and apprenticeship students and 42,000 continuing education registrants annually. In annual province-wide survey of college students, Mohawk was ranked number one of Ontario’s large colleges in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.